Wednesday, February 18, 2009

E-bay vs. Etsy

I started selling on e-bay first. I went there to sell after my daughter was born. Before she was born, I believed I would simply return to work through the temp agency I was registered with. Well, that didn't happen. I was completely overwhelmed with one baby! My sewing skills and appliance covers kept me "alive" after she was born. I have to say, E-bay can be a stay-at-home Mom's best friend. At least it was for me.

I didn't start selling on Etsy until a few years later. Now I enjoy being part of an artist's community. I have to admit, I don't have the sales volume like E-bay. I'm not sure why...but I have noticed the numbers of people viewing my creations in Etsy is triple those on E-bay.

E-bay is simple to use. The search engine is great. Titles are everything. So I get real wordy with my titles.

I also use an E-bay store. You can go broke running auctions.

The drawback about E-bay for me lately is their "dramatic" policies. Eventually, I'd love to leave E-bay behind.

Lately, I've had more communication with other Etsy artists. I joined three Etsy teams this month (Feb. 2009); Trashion, Fabulous Artist Moms and H.O.S.T.

F.A.M Team really challenged me to work with my store, graphics and I learned the importantance of tagging items. I'm hoping to have more sales now that I've adjusted and added more tags.

No comments:

Post a Comment