Saturday, March 28, 2009

Barbie trading cards tote bag is almost done




My Barbie trading cards tote bag is almost done. I thought the hardest part of this project was applying the clear vinyl contact paper to both sides of the cards...and then I started sewing!
Bias trim is so unforgiving. It shows every stitch hole...especially if you have to rip seams and do a side over. Fortunately, that didn't happen. I took my time and made sure my sides were lined up properly.
The bottom of the tote is now my biggest challenge. First I had to apply some clear scotch tape to line up the bottom with the sides. Then I was able to start sewing. I didn't even get to round a corner...and I hate sewing corners...before I realized the corners won't fit into my sewing machine! The bag is too stiff. And I don't want to smash it down just to sew it.
My thought is, worst case scenario, the bottom half will become a no-sew, hot glue project. I do worry about the bag holding together however. I'd rather sew.
So, in the meantime, I've e-mailed my Aunt Laurie for the answer. She works on those recycled Capri Sun tote bags. I imagine she has encountered the same problem. And I'm sure she'll have my answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment