Friday, April 24, 2009

How I recycle my plastic bags





I've come up with some creative ways to recycle my plastic bags. It always seemed like such a shame to me to throw them away. Especially the Gymboree bags that are adorable and colorful...and we have a store here in Niles, Ohio called Captain McFinn. It's located inside our Eastwood Mall. They have white opague bags with bright blue metallic lettering. So I got inspired to make my bags into something more useful.
Here's the story behind the kite. The original kite was bought at the Dollar Store. It was made of thin plastic, just like plastic bags are. I was flying the Dollar Store kite the other day and it got ripped in my rose bush. It seemed like such a shame to throw away the rest of the kite because the back support rods and the string were still fine.
I quickly traced the old kite onto an extra large Dunkin Donuts bag, cut it out with scissors, and taped the support rods from the old kite onto the Dunkin Donuts kite with scotch tape. To my surprise, the scotch tape holds up just fine! I've been flying the new kite all afternoon and it's just fine. And we've had a VERY WINDY day here.
The Gymboree bag became a tote bag. As I mentioned before, I couldnt' stand the thought of throwing it away. So, I lined the back with clear vinyl contact paper, then sewed the sides and bottom together with white bias tape. I also bought cotton tote bag handles from JoAnn Fabrics. I think it'll make a great beach bag.

6 comments:

  1. You can get the Pac Man and other cool applications if you go to customize then add a gadget and then go to the fun and games category on the left side. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great ideas! I love the totebag and I bet you'll get a ton of "Where did you buy that?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic ideas! I just keep a drawer full of these sturdy bags to tote things back and forth. It's a good idea to use them for other things or strengthen them for daily use.

    Danita

    ReplyDelete
  4. How awesome is that Kite!?! Ingenious ideas - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the ideas! Think I'll make shopping bag kites with the kiddos tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete