Thursday, October 15, 2009

New Life to Old Wire Hangers




My grandmother saved newspapers from the 1960s. My father had a paper route back then. Whatever he didn't deliver, they stored in the basement.

It always seemed like such a waste to me to hang designer clothes on ratty wire hangers. You know the ones in the closet that the white paper is tearing from use after use?

So I upcycled my old hangers and gave them new life with these 1960s fashions found in the old newspapers. It's a great way to look at the artist drawings every day, and perfectly functional!
This was pretty simple. I tore off the white paper from a hanger, opened it up, and used it as my pattern. The key to using newspapers is that the pages have to be double wide. The hanger is too long for a single page.








5 comments:

  1. Cute--but I wonder about the newsprint ink rubbing off???? How do you seal it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They could be sealed with decoupage glue. But honestly, ink rubbing off hasn't been a problem. Clothes aren't oily like our skin. I figure as long as the clothes are dry when they go on the hanger, it's all good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea - I love it. I have so many wire hangers that could use a face lift.
    Rhiannon

    ReplyDelete